How to Decorate a Christmas Tree Like a Pro
Ready to deck the halls and your Christmas tree?
If you have no problem decorating your home for the holidays but are stumped when it comes to how to decorate your Christmas tree, you aren’t alone!
Thankfully, you don't have to go through special training to learn how to create a stunning centerpiece for the holiday.
With our tips below, everyone who visits your home will ask where you learned how to decorate a Christmas tree professionally!
Before Getting Started
Before you get too excited, make sure you have all the Christmas decorating essentials. The first rule of learning how to decorate a Christmas tree with ornaments is having all your ornaments, lights, and tree ready to go.
Some points to consider:
- Is your artificial tree still in good shape?
- Do you plan to have a Christmas tree theme?
- How does your Christmas ornament inventory look?
- Do you have enough room for a bigger tree this year?
Check your Christmas stock. You’ll want to make sure you have enough ornaments and lights. You’ll want about 100-150 ornaments for a standard 6-foot tree and and about 100 lights per foot of tree.
Begin With Your Ideal Tree
Whether you want the biggest Christmas tree on the lot or a Charlie Brown tree, pick the one that makes you happy from the start.
- Choose the perfect tree - Real or artificial, everyone has their preferences. When you start with your ideal tree, you’ll be happier with the ultimate decorating outcome.
- Get set up - When you place your tree in its stand, make sure it’s firmly secure to avoid any mishaps later. Outlets should be nearby.
- Fluff - Once secured, fluff out artificial branches. For real trees, adjust the tree with the best side facing outward.
Deck the Tree
This is the fun part. Turn on the Christmas tunes and have your family or friends join you to create a great holiday memory. (For the music lover in your family, be sure to surprise them with one of our great music themed Christmas ornaments!)
- Test your lights first - There’s nothing worse than getting your tree all wrapped up and then realizing half the string is burned out! Need help hanging the lights? Visit our post on the best way to hang lights on a Christmas tree!
- Go bottom to top - Start at the lowest branches and work your way toward the top. If you don't mind a little extra work (and more twinkle!), wrap each branch individually — up and then down the branch.
- Add the tree topper - It may seem odd to add the tree topper early on, but it eliminates the risk of toppling the tree or damaging your decorating work if you save this until the end.
- Pick favorites - Depending on your tree, you might not be able to use all your ornaments. Start with your favorites and then fill in the empty greenery spaces as you go.
- Spread evenly - Work your way around the tree as your place ornaments. Stand back every so often to see how it looks.
- Decorate all around - If your tree faces the window, add a little more pizazz for your window display side!
The Final Touches
As you wrap up decorating, you’ll notice little tweaks you’ll want to make to create your ideal Christmas tree look.
- Look around - Stand back and take look at tree from different areas of room. Fluff, add ornaments to the Christmas tree, and straighten as you see fit.
- Focus on the bottom - Place the skirt around the bottom of the tree to put presents on. This will also protect floor from needles. If you have a real tree, add water to the tree base now.
- Add presents - If wrapped, place gifts below the tree to complete the look.
Enjoy Your Christmas Tree
There you have it: That’s how to decorate a Christmas tree like a pro. There’s nothing more Christmassy than a beautiful tree that lights up your home and your heart.
Now sit back with a cup of hot cocoa and enjoy the view!
What's your favorite part of decorating your Christmas tree? Share in the comments below!